Elko City Fire officials remind that fire safety is important as the weather becomes colder and the holidays approach.
- Use care with space heaters – maintain safe distance, use UL approved appliances and unplug when unattended.
- Use care with decorating – keep live Christmas Trees watered, check lights and decorations for frayed cords, opt for LED devices instead of candles.
- Practice home safety with your family – have an evacuation plan and teach children about smoke detectors.
- Use care in the kitchen – follow directions on turkey fryers, make sure the bird is thawed before immersing in oil, maintain a safe distance from outdoor hazards; woodpiles, decks, etc.
- Remember to have your chimney checked – creosote buildup can cause fire. Maintain proper clearance for wood-burning stoves and fireplaces.
Call the Elko Fire Department for a FREE inspection or if you have questions or concerns about fire safety in the home or workplace. (775) 777-7345.